Monday, 26 March 2012

I think my computer is full

A client called me yesterday (Sunday).  I know him well.  Well enough to call him a friend.  He and his wife came to my wedding in 1987  (I now divorced and in a great relationship with a beautiful woman who understands me so well)

Anyway - he called and said that he thought he needed to update his computer as its probably full.  I helped him purchase it a few years back.  I have been helping him and his former trucking business with computer issues for quite a few years now and he trusts me explicitly.  In other words, he would purchase/spend anything I tell him in relation to computers etc.

I don't abuse this trust and he knows that I look out for his interest in this regard.

Back to "Its probably full"  To many non-computer people it seems easier to understand that a computer can get full (like a filing cabinet might get full), when thinking about the age of the computer... trouble is, its usually not "full"   Far from it.  In fact from a "full" point of view its got years and years left in it.

The issue nowadays is the constant demand of the various pieces of software installed on our computers to update/upgrade - install the latest patch etc.  These incremental steps place expectations on the hardware to be faster or have more cpu/ram capacity.  And its these things that are actually "full"  The storage capacity on most computers now is so huge that for most personal users to come close to filling it up they have to be seriously saving stuff.  Not books, but huge images and media files. 

So, "probably full" is a scenario that makes sense to my friend, and now he wants me to look at his needs again as he actually needs to start emailing documents instead of faxing....

No comments: