Monday, 19 December 2011

Hitch - A man worth knowing

I've nearly finished Christopher Hitchens memoir Hitch-22. The more I read the more I would have liked to have met this man. Sadly this will never happen now - following his early demise at the end of last week.

I have spent some of the last two days reading various tributes to him.  And the praise has been plenty.  So, I suppose I will have to continue getting to know him through his written works (of which there is plenty enough to keep me going).  And its seems fitting that the written word is how he will continue living in us, and not in some sort of supernatural after-life, because he is no more.  Pure and simple.

Richard Dawkins tribute mentions the Hitch as a fighter against totalitarianism.  And this makes a lot of sense to me.  Religion is a totalitarian concept, and, well, who would willingly accept living under a dictatorship, even a divine dictatorship?

So, I am sad to have missed an opportunity to meet this man, and sad also that I have only come to know of him in the last few years of his life.

No comments: